Sunday, February 26, 2012

Firsts and Lasts

Lightning on his birth-day!
One year ago, my "Littlest Man" was born.  Dylan Joseph "Lightning" Holbritter completed our family.  And boy, was he as quick as lightning!  One year ago today started every first in his life -- his first breath, his first cry, the first time he nursed, the first time his daddy held him...but it also started the first of many lasts.

Lightning is the baby of the family (unless, of course, God has other plans).  So every first in his life has also been a last.  It actually makes me a little sad to be celebrating his first birthday.  It means that I no longer have an infant.

I am having SUCH an emotionally difficult time with this transition.  While I am excited at the prospect of his increased independence, I am also terrified.  I am having a hard time with all of the lasts...the last time of:
  • using baby clothes (now having to give them away)
  • breastfeeding (he is currently down to nursing once a day - I'm excited to wear a real bra again, but sad just the same)
  • pumping (I never thought that I would say that I would miss that!)
  • Lightning relying solely on me (no doubt, he will be a daddy's boy just like his big brothers) -- this hasn't happened yet, but I am sure it is inevitable. 
The Happy Birthday Boy!
Our Lightning has brought a new light into our lives.  He does many things that remind us that he is DEFINITELY a Holbritter and a Taylor.  But I know that he will have his own little quirks that will make him him.  His blond hair, his blue eyes...sigh...

I cannot wait to see the firsts that God brings into Lightning's life.  I hope that I can remember to focus on those, rather than the lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment